Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Home.

I was born in a small house in a small town in the South. I opened my eyes, and I saw nothing, only darkness. I cried out for something that I had no words for, and it held me and comforted me. I felt safe. I knew where I belonged, and I felt like I could wrap my hands around it and call it my own. I felt like I could take it with me, or rather, it could take me with it. At this juncture in time, I became acquainted with a feeling that I would learn to call "home". They told me it was a place, but I knew better - I knew it was a feeling. I stopped crying and I went to sleep.

I grew older and went to school, and I found my home in books. Numbers frustrated me, grammar bored me, social studies bored me - I was always either frustrated or bored. Things either came intuitively, in which case I couldn't understand why we were studying it, or else I just couldn't wrap my head around what the teacher wrote on the chalk board. Other times, I just couldn't make myself care about it. I wanted nothing to do with anything - anything, that is, except my books.

School houses were small, one-room buildings back then, but I could still usually manage to hide in the back and just read. Sometimes, when I didn't feel like reading I would dip my pen in the ink well and draw pictures that I could see in my head. Eventually, I combined my two interests and began writing stories and illustrating them. I wrote, and I drew, and it contented me. I grew older, and I felt more and more at home with my hobby.

As I grew older and more mature, I came to understand the value of an education. Although I wasn't particularly interested, I began to pay attention in math, and I began to pay attention in social studies. I wasn't particularly interested in either, but I excelled in both. Still, I felt at home in my books and my drawings. After some thought, I came to understand what I had known all along: home isn't a place, but a feeling. I knew were my home was, and so that's where I decided I would live.

1 comment:

Lyndsay said...

I love living in books too! Its probably why I like them so much. Its always been my place to escape throughout my entire life.
As for the writing and illustrating, thats what I would do as a child as well! I loved, and still love to spend my time just writing and drawing... As you have probably seen from my invented animals, i'm not necessarily talented, but its aweful fun.
Haha, I can see you excelling in math. I have always sucked balls at math, but thats mainly because I'm a girl. Boys understand numbers and have that sort of physical understanding more.. At least thats what my "Human Knowledge and Nature" book thingy said. Girls are more English and Social Studies centered, which is what I have always excelled in.
Kinda cool how a gender can help define a person... Wow, I went off on a random tangent there.... OK! I'm done now...

...

ISLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!