Monday, February 25, 2008

The Playwrite.

Certain aspects of writing a play proved to be easier than I expected, while other parts proved to be more difficult. Overall though, it was a rewarding experience. The daunting five page limit was not as difficult to reach as I expected; the writing tended to flow pretty well. Sometimes it was difficult to create realistic dialogue and to shape my characters in a nonblatant way, but I felt that in the end my characters possessed adequate depth and intrigue and were characterized in a relatively subtle way. Playwriting can be frustrating in its evident set limitations, but it also allows one to stretch his or her creative abilities, as well as to communicate a message through a simpler form than might be expected in, for instance, a movie or a television show. I prefer writing prose fiction and poetry as opposed to playwriting, so I doubt that I will experiment extensively in playwriting and in its sister forms, screenwriting and television script writing; however, I may be interested in trying them out, just to expand my creative horizons.

No comments: